Frequently asked questions
How do I book a splitter van?
1) In order to hire a splitter van from us, drivers must be 25 years or over and have held a license for at least 2 years. We can make exceptions to these rules, however they need to be approved in advance by our insurers (our insurers will often cover drivers under the age of 25 provided they have clean licenses, but they will usually increase the insurance excess).
2) To confirm a splitter van booking we require a non-refundable booking deposit of 10% of the hire fee (£50 minimum).
3) The remainder of the hire fee [less the deposit already paid] must be paid in full before the vehicle can be handed over.. Due to current legislation affecting the insurance industry we can only accept payment via debit or credit card for hires (cash or cheque are not accepted). BACS transfers are also fine as long as they have cleared prior to the start of the hire.
5) Our hire period runs from 10am on the day of the hire until 10am the next day.
6) There is a European surcharge of £10 per day when a vehicle is being taken out of the UK. This is added to the hire fee.
1. What are the dimensions of the van we are hiring?
The dimensions of our splitter vans are detailed here.
2. What fuel consumption will we get in a splitter van?
You can get around 27-30mpg depending on driving style, terrain, weight etc, for a Basic, Luxury or VIP Class splitter. With a full van and a heavy foot you should bank on low 20s. A Mini Splitter should do between 30-38mpg.
3. What are splitter vans booked as for ferry crossings?
You can book them as Vans/Minibuses/Camper vans.
4. Are automatic or manual transmission vans more fuel efficient?
They are similar. Our newest Automatic vans have 7 gears so are very efficient.
5. Are we covered for break downs?
Yes, we have Mercedes 24 and Volkswagen Assist across UK and Europe. We also have RAC for smaller issues in the UK.
6. Will you replace our van if a problem occurs on the hire?
If we have a vehicle free we will do our best to swap them out, depending on where you are, as sometimes it will be quicker to wait for the repair.
7. How much weight can a splitter van carry?
Around 900kgs in the Luxury vans and 1000kgs in the Basics. Mini Splitters have a payload of around 1175kgs.
8. Is there a mileage limit with your vans?
9. Can I plug my own hard drive into the TVs in your vans?
No, the TV’s are mounted into the bulkhead so there is no access around the rear of the TV. All our luxury vans have hard drives already built in.
10. What happens if I incur a fine (e.g. parking, Dartford Tunnel, etc)?
If you have a chance to pay it yourself do so. Otherwise we’ll make a representation to the relevant authority. On certain occasions we will need to bill it on with a £30 + VAT administration charge.
11. What tyres do I require if I’m going to be driving in mainland Europe in the winter months?
Winter tyres are now a legal requirement for vehicles traveling in Austria (1 Nov – 15 Apr), Finland (1 Dec – 28 Feb), Sweden (1 Dec – 31 Mar) and Germany (when conditions dictate). . We can supply full winter tyres with the M+S* markings if requested in advance.
12. Does the van come with a full tank?
Yes. Vans must be returned full otherwise we will charge this on at£2.00 incl VAT per litre.
1. Does the insurance policy cover our equipment and property stored in the van?
No, you will need to arrange your own cover for this. Our insurance policy covers accidental damage to our vehicle and passengers and third party vehicles and passengers.
2. Can I take your vans outside of the UK?
Yes, there is a £10 per day + VAT Euro Cover charge. We will need to know which countries you will be driving through as some countries are subject to restrictions or exclusions and we may have to charge additional costs.
3. Can we use our own insurance policy?
Our insurance company will not allow our vehicles to be put under the hirer’s own insurance.
4. What information do I need to provide for each driver?
Each driver will need to provide us in advance with scans of both sides of their driving licence photocard, two forms of ID (e.g. passport and recent - within last 3 months - Bank Statement and Utility Bill where the address matches that shown on the driving licence) and a DLVA checkcode (https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence) for UK licence holders. They will also need to complete an online driver’s form.
Drivers with licences from USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland and Malta are usually allowed to be added as drivers. Licences from other countries will be assessed on an individual basis by our insurers.
5. How many drivers can we have insured?
You get 2 drivers on the insurance included with the hire fee. To add more there is a one off charge of £10+VAT per additional driver.
6. Is there a driver minimum age restriction?
You need to be 22 or above and have held a full driver’s licence (issued within the EU) with no endorsements for at least 2 year. For those drivers with endorsements we will require at least 3 working days’ notice before the start of your hire to obtain approval from our insurers to allow you to be added as a driver. Anyone 22-24 or over the age of 70 and/or has endorsements will likely be subject to an increased insurance excess.
7. Can I drive a splitter van on a normal car licence?
Yes you can. You need a normal B category driving license to drive our splitter vans.
8. Can I tow a trailer?
We have a fleet of 7’ x 5’ unbraked, twin axle, 750kg trailers that can be hitched to the back of our splitters vans or mini splitters. These can be driven on a normal B category driving licence.
9. Can I add other drivers to the insurance during the hire?
Yes you can. We will need the documents as outlined above).
10. What is a damage excess?
A damage excess (called a ‘deductible’ in the US) is the maximum amount of money that the hirer is responsible for in the event that the vehicle is damaged or stolen. The only exception to this is if the damage or theft is a direct result of hirer negligence.
11. Can I reduce the damage excess?
You can reduce your insurance excess to zero for £9.99 per day with www.insuremyvanhire.com. Please note this cover is only available for vehicles driven in the UK not mainland Europe and the Primary Driver must be a UK resident. **VFB has no affiliation with insuremyvanhire.com nor do we earn any commission from referrals**
12. Will I get charged for minor defects to the van?
We don’t charge for:
• Scratches less than 25mm
• Dents less than 25mm
• Paint chips less than 3mm
• Glass chips less than 1mm
• Alloy scuffs/abrasions less than 25mm
13. If I arrange a driver through VFB are they responsible for the damage excess?
No, drivers are hired by yourselves and you are the hirer of the vehicle. Therefore the hirer is responsible for any costs from the moment the van leaves our yard until it is returned.
14. If I’ve driven one of your vans before do I still need to send in scans of my driver’s licence and DVLA check code?
You will need to send in an updated DVLA checkcode unless you’ve hired from us in the past 3 months.
1. Can I have the van delivered and/or collected?
We offer FREE London (within M25 Heathrow Airport) delivery/collection. For 1 and 2 day hires a charge of £20 + VAT each way applies. A surcharge applies for delivery/collection outside of office hours. We can also deliver to and collectfrom anywhere else in the UK or Europe at a pre-agreed cost.
2. If I hire a driver do I have to cover the cost of driver meeting me at the start of the hire?
The driver will pick up the van from our yard and bring it to you. It will leave our yard full so will need to be returned full of diesel.
3. Will a driver cover fuel/tolls/parking on a hire?
These are the hirer’s costs to cover. On some occasions the driver will be able to cover these costs while on the hire and then bill them on at the end, but this will need to be arranged in advance.
4. Do I need to provide accommodation for a driver?
Yes please, ideally their own room. Nobody likes a tired driver.
5. Can I collect the van the night before the hire starts?
Usually not, but we will always do our best to accommodate requests.
6. Can I leave a car on your premises?
Yes we have free secure parking at our Oxford site. We have parking at our Heathrow and Bristol sites but there is a charge of £5 + VAT and £8.33 + VAT per calendar day respectively. Vehicles and their contents left at any of our sites are entirely at the owner’s or driver’s risk.
7. Can I return a van out of hours?
Yes we have self-drop options available for all our sites.
8. Can I collect a van out of hours?
No. Vehicles must be picked up in office hours.
9. Are the vans congestion exempt?
All our splitter vans are congestion charge exempt.
10. Are the vans compliant for Clean Air Zones (eg London's ULEZ)?
As of April 2019 our fleet is made up of Euro 5 and Euro 6 rated vehicles. Each of our vehicles has a sticker near the ignition key which will tell you its Euro rating for emissions.
The Euro 6 vehicles should be compliant for all Clean Air Zones across Europe. However, as of early 2019 there have been issues with different Clean Air Zones' computer systems allocating vehicles with the correct Euro rating, therefore it is the hirer's responsibility to check the vehicle's compliance with each Clean Air Zone you enter (this can usually be done quickly and easily online) and pay any daily fee that is due.
The Euro 5 vehicles are compliant with some, but not all, Clean Air Zones across Europe. It is the hirer's responsibility to check the vehicle's compliance with each Clean Air Zone you enter (this can usually be done quickly and easily online) and pay any daily fee that is due.
11. What are Euro emissions ratings and why should I care?
All new vehicles sold within the European Union have to meet increasingly tough emissions standards in order to help combat pollution. The Euro ratings go from 'no rating' up to 'Euro 6' which is currently (as of Apr 2019) the strictest and cleanest rating. As of 2019 many European cities are introducing 'Clean Air Zones' which are designed to cut down on harmful pollution from traffic. The conditions of entry vary from zone to zone but most will require a small daily fee to be paid if you are driving a non compliant vehicle into the designated area. Most Clean Air Zones across Europe are currently set up to charge vehicles that are below a Euro 5 or Euro 6 emissions standard. A number of Clean Air Zones have had ongoing issues with recognizing and allocating the correct Euro ratings to vehicles, so it is very important to check the compliance of the vehicle you are driving with each Clean Air Zone you enter. The fines for entering with a non compliant vehicle can be significant and checking your vehicle's compliance can usually be done quickly and easily online.
Yes, we have secure storage lockers at our Oxford and Bristol sites There is a charge for this service – please email us for a quote.
13. Can I have merchandise delivered to VFB for the start of a tour?
Yes you can but please contact us BEFORE arranging delivery
14. Can you provide a GPS (Sat Nav) for my hire?
Yes we can. They are £5+VAT per week. If you are hiring a Luxury or VIP class van then there is no charge for a Sat Nav unit, but you need to request one in advance to ensure we have availability.
15. Can you provide WIFI for my hire?
Yes we can, we have limited availability so please request one in advance. They are pay as you go units.
16. Can you arrange backline hire?
Yes, we can offer backline hire at fantastic rates as part of your transportation package through our backline partner. We have access to a comprehensive inventory of musical equipment and as part of the service backline will be delivered and loaded into the splitter van free of charge prior to collection and vice versa at the end of the hire.
17. When can I get the vehicle registration so I can book the Channel crossing?
We can supply this at the time of booking, but we reserve the right to change the vehicle should there be a problem with it or a previous hirer returns it late, etc.
18. What documents do I need to bring with me when I collect the van?
You need to bring you driving license.
19. How do I confirm a booking?
You will need to fill out and email back the confirmation details in the quotation email we have sent you. We also then need a 10% or £50 (whichever is greater) confirmation deposit.
20. What is your booking cancellation policy?
In the event of a booking being cancelled within 14 days of the beginning of the proposed rental period, we’ll charge you 50% of the hire rental. If it’s cancelled with no more than 48 hours’ notice you’ll be charged 100%. If you cancel giving us more than 14 days’ notice then you will forfeit your booking deposit.
21.What are your opening hours?
10am – 6pm weekdays.
10am – 2pm Saturdays (by arrangement only)
10.30am – midday Sundays (by arrangement only)